The Aquaponics Association has announced its 2017 national conference, Putting Down Roots, to be held in Portland, Oregon November 3 – 5.
The Conference will feature the following aquaponic experts:
- Dr. Nick Savidov, Lethbridge College
- Murray Hallam, Practical Aquaponics
- Jon Parr, SchoolGrown
- Angela Tenbroeck, Center for Sustainable Agricultural Excellence & Conservation
- Arvind Venkat, WaterFarmers
The Conference will also feature tours of local aquaponic operations including Live Local Organic, a certified organic aquaponic farm that supplies 71 individual stores and 10 retailers.
The Conference will also feature a vendor showroom to display the newest aquaponic technology.
The Putting Down Roots Conference aims to help aquaponics growers build stronger communities and become the backbone of their local food economies.
Here are listed the four main pillars of Putting Down Roots, and conference activities to achieve these goals:
- Developing Industry Infrastructure
- Moderated discussions and Q&A sessions with successful aquaponic growers about the steps to success
- Interaction with local Oregon financial, legal, and political professionals about what they need to hear from aquaponic growers
- Discussion for the role that the Aquaponics Association should play in industry growth
- Discovering Opportunities
- Presentations from economists about which aquaponic farms are the most successful, and why
- Lessons on targeting the right market
- Discussion with business experts about how to assess rooftops, basements, and/or vertical growing options
- Integrating STEM
- Lessons on the best strategies to get aquaponics in your local STEM education programs
- Curriculum discussions with fellow aquaponic educators
- Building Our Capacity
- Learn the most up-to-date advancements in water chemistry and system design to run your system more efficiently
- Hands-on lessons and walk-throughs to build a better system
- A wide range of parts and supplies in our vendor showroom to view and discuss with suppliers
Kate Wildrick, Co-Founder / Paradigm Shifter of Ingenuity Innovation Center in Saint Helens, Oregon, states:
“We are very excited that the Aquaponics Association will be hosting their annual conference in Portland, OR. Given that we serve as a community resource and voice for this emerging green industry, we are observing a lot of curiosity from groups that a few years ago had little to no interest in aquaponics being a viable food production system, let alone a powerful community builder. There is no better time than now to bring people together from various backgrounds and industries to discover where the opportunities are and collaborate on how we can remove the barriers. The conference is bringing some of the best experts in the world to share their knowledge and expertise. This is sure to inspire new ideas and solutions.”
Click here for the Putting Down Roots Conference Flyer
Brian Filipowich, Conference Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org